Monday, March 3, 2014

Radio Control QuadRotors/Quadcopters as camera platforms

There are a few choices in Quad Rotor/Quadcopter camera platforms.

I use a DJI Phantom QuadRotor with a Tarot Dual Axis Gimbal and a Gopro Hero 3 Silver.
The DJI Phantom alreay comes with a gopro mount. The Gimbal just allows the quad rotor to move without disturbing the camera for smoother video.

The Gimbal also allows remote tilting of the camera.

It does take some RC mechanical skill and understand to attach this gimbal.

The Phantom comes with a transmitter however I connected it to the higher end transmitter Spektrum DX7s
 I already had for my Helis. So all of my RC Aircraft fly with the same transmitter

DJI has a plug n play Gimbal ZenMuse but it cost more.

DJI has released a new Quad Rotor " DJI Phantom 2 Vision Quadcopter with Integrated FPV Camcorder" It comes with everything built in Camera, Gimbal, even a mount for your phone on the transmitter so it can transmit the video nearly live to your phone. That way you can see what the camera sees.

Blade is one of my favorite RC Heli companies their GoPo platform 350 QX RTF is a good one as well, but like my phantom if you want better video from it you will have to add a gimbal.
Although I haven't flown this Blade 350 yet I have a couple of their Heli's and it would be my guess that it would be the easiest to fly and work on.


Mike

No comments: